Thursday, February 28, 2008

8lbs 10ozs



Marley gave us a little scare yesterday. Enough for us to take him into the doctor's office.

Let me go back to a couple weeks ago, at his last doctor's visit. I was convinced that Marley had gastroesophageal reflux. He was spitting up a lot (especially when I laid him down on his back), arching his neck and back after and during eating, and nursing for long periods of time - all signs of reflux. The doctor prescribed Zantac, but Marley's symptoms seemed to improve so I never picked up the prescription. Plus, he was still eating and gaining weight, and he wasn't especially fussy.

Yesterday morning, however, was a different story. He woke up to eat around 4am and I laid him back down around 5. Less than an hour later, he was awake and crying. He wouldn't stop and none of our normal methods of soothing him were working. He especially didn't want anything to do with his pacifier, which was very unusual.

I called the doctor and got an appointment for 9:30. I have a cold and was worried that I had passed something along to Mars. But, the doctor found no signs of infection and Marley's lungs sounded clear (big relief!). So, it looked like the most likely culprit was reflux.

I wish I would have trusted my instincts the first time around. I feel awful that the reflux had to get so bad before we treated it. The poor baby was exhausted when we got back from the doctor's office. He'd been crying all morning and hadn't eaten since 4am. We finally got him to eat around noon (while he was still sleeping).

Now, Mars takes Zantac twice a day. It seems to be helping - at least he hasn't had any more scary crying episodes. It sounds like reflux is pretty common in babies and that most will grow out of it within the first few months. I sure hope so!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Poor little guy :( Its very common for babies to have GE reflux and he'll probably grow out of it, but it stinks until then. Hope the meds help him out and he feels better!

Unknown said...

Don't beat yourself up on not giving the medicine sooner. If you jump the gun all the time, what effects will have in the future?

Love the updates, he's absolutely adorable! Let us know when your guests leave and we'll drop by more food (and presents......as long as I get to hold Marley again) =) Oh, I also have your stampin up stuff, let me know if you want me to deliver it. Hm...and Dustin was expecting a text from Jeff tonight...I think he misses his philosophic beer talk. =)

Grandpa Franklin said...

Sounds like Marley might have inherited that from us - glad to see he is doing better. Lok forward to seeing him his Easter

Anonymous said...

Being a parent is a never ending learning adventure!! Just when you think you know a lot, along comes something else and opportunity for more learning. These children of ours never let us forget that we don't have all the answers, and that's okay. That's what makes parenting fun and certainly not boring!! Can't wait to see Marley (oh yeah... Mom and Dad, too!!!) again soon.

Nancy