Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's an Easter Miracle!


For over 24 hours we have been able to successfully latch on without using the nipple shield - EVEN in the middle of the night! Yippee! Mars and I went to a Breastfeeding Support Group at Swedish yesterday. It was more like group therapy for hormonal nursing mothers. It was exactly what we needed! A lactation specialist was there and helped us so much! I can't believe that a few small adjustments could make such a big difference. She had me make slight changes in the placement of my hands, Marley's position, and the motion I used to insert my nipple into his mouth (starting with nipple towards his nose rather than aiming it straight at his mouth).

It's hard to explain, which is exactly why having her demonstrate was SO helpful. I've had lots of phone consultations (even with this same nurse), but I guess I didn't REALLY get it until yesterday. Also, Mars weighed in at a whopping 10 lbs 6 ozs - before eating!

Swedish Home Care never showed up today to give Mars his synagis shot. I don't know what happened - Jeff called and left a message, but they never called back. So, he's unprotected, yet again, from RSV. ARGH!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Dawn, Who'da thunk we gotta pry the babies mouth open eh?
Love you Mom

Anonymous said...

Yay Dawn-E I'm so happy for you guys! Love ya,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

good job honey! I knew you could do it, grandpa pat