Thursday, August 27, 2009

What else is new?

So, you're probably wondering what else we did with our summer since our big trip only lasted about three weeks. I've been wondering the same thing myself. Monday is the official end of summer for me. I go back to work full time, and the kiddos arrive on Wednesday. As usual, the summer has absolutely flown by! Here's some of what we've been doing:

1. Pest Control: We have termites. They are the slow-eating kind, so we're hoping that they haven't done too much real damage to our house. We've been cleaning out our storage room, where they've been hanging out, so that we can have someone get in there and spray. It's a total pain, and has taken up way too much of my precious summer!

2. Childcare Hunt: Jeff is planning to add more days to his work schedule, and that means we need daycare for Marley. This has been super depressing for me - I can't tell you how many times I've threatened to quit my job this week! Although many tears were shed in the process, I'm pretty sure we've found a place we love. We brought Marley there for a visit and he had a blast running around with the other kids. We're still working out the schedule, but right now it looks like he will start in October and go three days a week. I think this will be really good for him. *Sniff* At least that's what I keep telling myself!

3. Auntie Sarah's Visit: The only reason I was able to stay somewhat sane during the search for childcare was that my amazing sister was here. She watched Marley while I made phone calls. She came along to check places out with me. And most importantly, she gave me lots of hugs while I sobbed in despair! It was hard to let her go, especially because Mars was getting so used to having her around. Luckily, we're planning a family get-together in October, so we won't have to wait too long to see her again!

4. No Longer a Teen: Most importantly this summer, Mars turned 20 months old! He is growing up so fast right before our very eyes. Here's a little of what Marley is like at 20 month old:

*Wears 18-24 month clothing.
*Loves to accessorize (hats, shoes, glasses, jewelry)
*Knows some of his ABC's, and tries really hard to sing along with the alphabet song.
*Knows some of his numbers - he surprised us by counting to six today! Correctly!
*Can recognize a stop sign and a stop light, and likes to point them out to us while we're driving.
*Can correctly identify crows, pigeons, and sea gulls (and can imitate corresponding sounds)
*Can speak in four word sentences (yesterday he said, "I spy dirty clothes." Great.).
*Loves to play "I Spy".
*Can jump with both feet (only about an inch off the ground, but is very proud of himself nonetheless).
*Can build a tower seven blocks high before the urge to knock it down overcomes him.
*Is no longer breastfeeding as of the end of July (his choice, not mine).
*Is very good with a spoon.
*Sleeps in his crib, which is sidecaring our bed.
*Is still wearing cloth diapers.
*Uses mostly spoken words rather than sign language any more. (He still loves Signing Time, though and we are always trying to learn new signs).
*Can go up the stairs and down the slide all by himself at the park.
*Favorite foods include: broccoli, edamame (soy beans), peaches, pizza, strawberries, Pirate's Booty, yogurt, chicken, french fries, and spaghetti.
*Loves to sing, dance, read, play with cars, swim, go to the beach, and play at the park.
*Amazes us daily with all his new accomplishments!

4 comments:

Gramma goes Blogging said...

Is solace anywhere more comforting than in the arms of a sister. ~Alice Walker

Dawn said...

*Sniff* What a sweet (and true) quote!

Gramma goes Blogging said...

Marley also plays *This Old man* on the Kazoo along with Pa-Pa

Kristie Walker said...

*Ugh* on the termites. :-(

That school sounds GREAT--I'd totally send Annie there! I love their focus on treating each child as an individual!