After nearly seven months of uneventful pregnancy, I was put on bed rest due to signs of preterm labor (still no known cause). I stayed home with my feet up beginning December 1, thinking that this was just a precautionary measure. Sorry, no video available. Trust me, it wasn't that exciting.
My water broke at home on December 11, 2007 at 2:00 am. Marley James Franklin was born 21 hours later at 11:02 pm. He was 8 weeks early at just 32 weeks gestation and only 4lbs 5.6oz/17in. This is Marley 36 hours after he was born. He was bruised and swollen and had just gotten his CPAP off. We were extremely relieved that he was doing so well.
Once he had lost his water weight, things were starting to look better (in the head region, at least). But here, at 3 days old, Mars reached his all time lowest weight.
Mars took his first expressed breast milk from a bottle at 6 days old. Before this, he was getting his nutrients through an IV and gavaged breast milk fed to him through a tube in his nose.
Mars continued to eat and grow, bringing us that much closer to going home. Here he is at one week old. Looking very snazzy wearing some of his first clothing!
Mars got his first bath at 11 days old. He loved having his hair washed in the warm water! He still enjoys a good bath!
More eating and growing! Mars got most of his meals in the hospital through a gavage. Here he is at 4 weeks old. The goal was for him to take ALL his feedings orally - not an easy task!
Mars was discharged from the hospital on January 13, 2008. He weighed 5lbs 14oz. We were so glad to finally have him home!
Life at home has been wonderful! Jeff and I have been lucky enough to both be able to stay home. Jeff's been working part-time, mostly from home, and I'm on full-time leave until September. Today at just over 7lbs/20in Marley's a happy, healthy eight week old .
9 comments:
Your site looks great and I loved the videos. I am glad to hear how well things are going for you! Enjoy this new and exciting time.
Carol
What a wonderful introduction. The video clips are great! I am glad that you are all home and able to enjoy each other. May you have many more happy celebration dates! Mars is a beautiful baby!
Sheri
This is great - I am so glad that you have the new web site - and the videos are wonderful. Glad to see Marley doing well - can't wait to see him again
Grandpa Franklin
So nice seeing Marley move on, Our poor little baby has been through so much, not to mention his parents and all his friends here. Boy! Did we ever think such a tiny baby would have so many friends even before his birth date? I see nothing but great things for his future. No child could have better parents than you Dawn and Jeff. I am the proudest Grandma ever!!
The videos are awesome.
Love you, Mom C
Love the new blog and the videos are just precious! :)
Thank goodness for blogs!! I was suspecting you'd have to leave the other site eventually, and since I've gotten addicted to my frequent updates, I just didn't know how I'd manage without it! Glad you're moving onto this one. You are three amazing people, you know. Life is good!
Nancy
Yippee for blogspot! =)
I LOVE that last picture, but I still stand by my earlier statement. He doesn't look like Jeff at all! =)
Then again, give me 5 years...that's about how long it took me to realize that Jeff looks like Jude Law....=) I'm slow, I know. =)
Your latest picture with Marley on the shoulder is a classic. Thanks for keeping this site up to date
Grandpa Franklin
Post a Comment