Mars and I have been working so hard at breastfeeding since he came home from the hospital. To practice, I always offer him the breast without the nipple shield at the start of each feeding session. Then, when he gets frustrated, I put on the shield. For the first couple of weeks, he reached frustration really quickly. Most of the time he didn't even try to latch on or suck.
About a week before his due date he started to become more interested. He would try for longer and even move his mouth like he was sucking (although he wasn't forming a seal). Last Friday, three days after his due date, Marley latched on! He nursed for about eight minutes and, I swear, I held my breath the whole time.
I was so relieved and excited! But, then we couldn't do it again. I spent the rest of the weekend trying to figure out what we had done. Just when I was feeling like it must've been just a fluke accident, he finally latched on again on Monday night. Then for a third time this morning.
So, I'm willing myself to have patience - even though I feel like we should be able to get it every time now! I have to keep reminding myself that it'll happen eventually. We're just going to keep practicing. Good thing we have lots of opportunities since Mars eats about eight times a day!
3 comments:
Way to go, Marley!! I bet he'll want to do a little showing off for Grandma and Grandpa so things will no doubt continue to improve. I'm glad you're being patient and working hard at this... both of you!
Nancy
Nursing takes amazing coordination for mom and baby. Keep up the patience. You can see the reward coming! I'm so happy things are going well for all of you.
Sheri
That's great!! I always wish I could've breastfed. You guys are doing great!
Post a Comment