Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Update

Amelia was in a great mood today, even back to harassing her brother.  While he was trying to watch a show, she jumped on him repeatedly and yelled, "Stop it, Marley!"  She barely even flinched when we changed her wound dressing. 

Jeff took the day off work to help with the doctor's appointment and all the extra care for Amelia.  It was nice to have him home today.  We went in for a follow-up this afternoon, and the doctor said that things looked as they should for day two.  We will take her back one more time next week, just to make sure it's still healing well.  The biggest concern at this point is preventing infection.

This whole thing has been really hard on Marley.  I'm sure last night was pretty traumatic for him, too, but Amelia's the one getting all the attention.  He was really acting out today in the doctor's office (in hindsight, one of us should have stayed home with him) and again when Jeff and I were dressing her wound.  I'll be more prepared for this tomorrow with something special he can do while we take care of her. 

Marley kept saying that he needed medicine, too.  I gave him some water out of a medicine dropper, but I don't really like the idea of pretending to take medicine.  I want him to understand that Amelia needs the medicine because she's really hurt, and he's not.  Ugh!  His behavior is irritating, but I also understand how he must be feeling.  Any creative ideas for him?

And me?  Well, I keep replaying the moment over and over and over again in my head.  I know I'm just torturing myself, but I can't help it.  Tanya reminded me to think of the hundreds of ways I'm preventing my children from being injured each day:)  I'll try. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh! So sorry to hear about the accident, Dawn! Could you convince Marley that eating healthy food is like medicine? =) Maybe a part of it is also him seeing you get so frazzled?

Sarah said...

Dawnie you are a wonderful mom! Accidents happen, Amelia will be okay. Love you lots!

Kristie Walker said...

I think I'd probably do something like, [loud gregarious voice] "I know what medicine YOU need! You... need... [take big monster steps towards him with your arms swinging] some... HUG MEDICINE!!" And then grab him up in a big snuggly baby-laying-in-arms hug... and probably get a tickle in there too, but end up on the couch with him on my lap for a minute's snuggle.

{{hugs}} to you. And hey, give yourself a break for Christmas!

(And Annie wants to know if Marley kissed Amelia's owie!)

Gramma goes Blogging said...

I think changing her dressing should go with out a problem, just be sure she gets her pain meds before the change then all should go well,( I got the feeling you already know this though) Each day will bring more healing, Love you tons,

Tiny Tribe said...

Make him a make-shift dr. office, box of bandaids, ace bandage, stethoscope,etc and a doll with an injured arm:)