Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, Again!

Today Marley is 14 months old, which means that he is One Year adjusted. This won't mean much next year or any year after that. However, development-wise, it's important to think of preemies in terms of their adjusted ages until about age two, when development slows and a couple months age difference becomes negligible.

This is good for me to remember right now as I wait, rather impatiently, for Mars to take his first independent steps. The normal range for full-term babies to walk is 9-15 months, which still gives him plenty of time. He will be re-evaluated by his occupational therapist at the end of March. Hopefully he's walking by then because she'd like to evaluate his gait and make sure everything looks A-okay.

Mind you, I'm really not concerned with his development - I think he's doing great! And I am in no hurry for my baby to grow up, but there will be some major benefits to having a walker:

1. Playing at the park. The swings get really old after a while.
2. Less vacuuming/sweeping. When your child's face is mere inches from the floor for hours each day, he becomes really good at finding every hair, crumb, and speck imaginable.
3. Being able to set him down in public places. Okay, I know there are downsides to this one (think: chasing a runner through a crowded restaurant) but if you saw what he found on the floor of Prost! a few weeks back, you'd want him to walk too.
4. Being able to set him down outdoors. I know he would still get dirty playing outside, but at least he would be able to stay somewhat dry if he didn't have to crawl everywhere.
5. More ways to burn energy. I know crawling must burn lots of calories, but he has SO much energy lately that it just seems like he needs something more.
6. I will finally be able to say "Yes!" when everyone asks me if he's walking yet!

6 comments:

Jennie Fisher said...

yea! Thank you SO much for your incredibly generous gift! The sleeper sack is FABULOUS as Mia is as squirmer and gets out of everything! You guys ROCK!

Sarah said...

Dawn, I love you!

Gramma goes Blogging said...

Happy Birthday Dawn (a day early) and Happy Valentines day to you and your little family, Most of us teach our children to ride a bike, we run along side of them holding them upright, yet many children just get on the bike and do it all on their own, so question is does a bit of help really help at all? Would the child that had his parents running along side of him have learned just as fast on his own? Did it hurt any to run along side of the child? I think not *shrugs* walk with Marley holding just one of his hands, it's not against the law to help out a bit. This isn't rushing him I don't think. It's just giving him a loving helping hand. I don't think that would take away any of his independence. I dunno, it's just a thought sweetie. Maybe you already do this, if so just ignore the ole' ladies comment. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.. and I agree, Marley is doing awesome, don't bother yourself about them darn evaluations, just be the Mom you are and Teacher that you are and Marley is the luckiest little boy ever.

Unknown said...

I love Marley. Everyone loves Marley. =) Crawling or walking, he's a jewel and a joy. (and so stinking cute) =) Happy Birthday!

Nailbender711 said...

Um, crawling? walking? I would think best to keep an eye out for Marley climbing out the upstairs window 1st. grandpa pat

Gramma goes Blogging said...

Happy Birthday Daddy Jeff!!