Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Marley can read!


David Shannon is the author and illustrator of some of my favorite children's books: Duck on a Bike, A Bad Case of the Stripes, and Good Boy Fergus. Encounter, written by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Shannon, is one of my all-time favorites. It's the story of the first meeting between Christopher Columbus and the indigenous people of San Salvador as seen through the eyes of a young native boy. (No, it's not what Marley can read.) I read it to my class every year - the illustrations are beautiful. Which is why I think Shannon's David! books are so strange. The illustrations are almost scary. I guess the childlike drawings are supposed to appeal to little kids. Well, I don't get it, but it works. Mars absolutely loves the David! board books!

The book reads, "David's first words were: Ball, Uh-Oh! Dog, Oops! Ride, Whee! Eat, Yum! Bath, Ahh! Mama, Zzzzz..." What sounds like "dada" is actually "doggie". This was not their first time through the book in this sitting and, as you can see, Mars was really excited for his favorite page!

8 comments:

BN 猫 said...

cute moment ! ^^

May be grown-ups haven't much chance to read kid books unless they have a kid! ^_^

Gramma goes Blogging said...

I sure love that little boy! :-)

Sarah said...

Marley is so awesome! I love that video.

Unknown said...

That is TOO cute! =) I love the david books too. My kids get a kick out of the picture where he's running down the street w/ no clothes on. =)

Kristie Walker said...

Eeek! I love it!

Gramma goes Blogging said...

Ha ha , I am back, if you had a counter on this one the Numbers would be in the millions! (me & Sarah probably)
But I just had to mention, in Co. when Grand pa was napping on the Bean bag chair snoring, Marley noticed and did the Zzzzz back then. It was so funny

Anonymous said...

You sure can tell he is his dads son, he is picking up on them so quickly

patrick

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than reading books with a child just learning language and words... the joy, the magic!!! I'm so glad you shared this video. Encounter is one of my all time favorite books, too, by the way.