Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's Official (mostly)!

Jeff and I have decided that I will take next school year off!  I love teaching, and I really love my job at Highlands, but being home with Marley and Amelia is just so much more fun than going to work every day!  Here are a couple of sample days from last week, just so you can see what I mean.

Day 1
*woke up late due to daylight savings (around 9 am)
*played and read books until about noon
*headed out on foot to the community center park
*picked up some fresh fruit and lunch from Metropolitan Market
*hung out at the library for a while
*walked to another playground at a nearby elementary school
*arrived back home around 5:30 pm
*ate dinner
*took a family shower and got ready for bed
*kids fast asleep by 9 pm

Day 2:
*woke up around 8
*dropped Marley off at preschool at 9:30
*came home and played with Amelia
*picked Marley up from school and headed over to the beach
*played at the beach until we got too cold
*sat in Pioneer and had hot chocolate and coffee to warm up
*came home and ate lunch around 2:30
*spent about an hour looking under the hood of the car (This was just for fun, since Marley's really interested in cars lately.  I showed him how to check the oil, which he proceeded to do over and over!)
*Marley watched a DVD (Franklin the turtle), while Amelia napped, and I did chores
*ate dinner, got ready for bed, and kids fast asleep by 9 pm

It's not always easy, but it's a million times easier than my job as a teacher (teachers have a really hard job!).  And it's trillion times easier than teaching and raising two kids. 

There's a small chance that I will return two days a week to job share, but if that doesn't work out I won't complain.  I do really miss my colleagues, though, especially carpooling with Nancy, chatting with my team each morning, and planning together on late-start Fridays. 

Plus, I keep getting ideas that I want to try out in my classroom.  I guess I'd better start writing them down:)

4 comments:

Gramma goes Blogging said...

It's really awesome that you are able to do that.

Emerson Clan said...

Good for you! Brad and I talked this weekend and he told me he would rather I do a job I didn't care about than to go back to teaching full time as a career. It is SUCH a hard job and SO HARD while raising children. I fully support your decision.

Nancy said...

Oh, how I miss the carpool conversations and dropping Marley off at school. But..... next year maybe I'll be able to do some "playing" with you all!!! (And maybe even a few more Costco trips!)

Unknown said...

Congratulations. I'm jealous. =) Feel free to step in my classroom at any time whenever you get the teaching bug. =)