Jeff and I are having a hard time (as usual) choosing a name for our newest edition. I'm sure, like his siblings, Baby Eyeball will have to officially meet us before we will be able to settle on anything. In the meantime, Marley has decided to take on the role of naming his baby brother. A role he is taking VERY seriously. As you know, he initially dubbed the baby "Eyeball", a nickname Jeff and I both rather like. But, not long after that, he decided that the baby should instead be named "Moonlight". He was really proud of himself for coming up with such a great name, and announced it to people every chance he got.
Marley: "I'm going to have a baby brother soon, and his name is Moonlight!"
Random Stranger in the Bathroom: "Oh! How...romantic."
I worried that he was becoming too attached to the name, so thought I'd better start preparing him. But, not before suggesting to Jeff that we secretly name the baby something else, and just tell Marley we named him Moonlight. We could get everyone we know to go along with it. Jeff didn't think that would work.
So, I started suggesting other names to Marley. Ya know, actual names.
"How about Liam? Jackson? Caleb? Ethan? Owen? Lucas? Eli? Mason?" I went down the list of popular names. He wasn't too excited about any of my suggestions, but at least I'd planted the seed that perhaps we wouldn't be naming the baby Moonlight after all.
Except now, he was on a quest to find an acceptable alternative. At the park one day, he heard a mom calling to her son.
Marley: "Ooh, Mom! Did you hear that? That's a great name! I think we should name the baby Rayker!"
Me: "I think she was saying Ryker."
Marley: "Hmm...I like Rayker better!"
Okay, so maybe it wasn't enough to just tell him the baby wouldn't be named Moonlight. I needed to be more direct.
Me: "So, probably just Dad and I will pick a name for the baby. It's kind of traditional for the parents to name their kids."
Marley: "Well, I think the whole family should agree on the name. Amelia, what do you want to name the baby?"
Amelia: "Windbreaker."
Marley: "Okay, actually all of us except Amelia should agree on the name."
Moonlight, it is! Right, everybody? *wink, wink*
6 comments:
Oh My Goodness, this sounds like a dilemma, sure wouldn't want to hurt any feelings. Telling him it's a parents tradition to name is a good idea. Moonlight could always be a nick name. I looked up native american names and Jacy means *The moon* (I think according to some site but that sounds kinda girly to me)It is very sweet that the kids are so involved so all I can say is good luck :-)
p.s. I am not saying this Grannie want's to name eyeball Jacy. Just thought I'd add tow cents is all
tow means two in typo language ugh
Hahah! Everyone except Amelia, boy that kid is funny! I'm laughing now, but I sure do hope that he will be okay with another name... Yes, good luck indeed.
Windbreaker! I LOVE IT! Your kids are awesome, Dawn. I don't know how you do it, but I'm sure Moonlight Windbreaker (Moonbreaker? Windlight?) will be just as awesome. And then you can write books about the funny things your kids say and make millions. =)
Frank Zappa named his kid moonbeam.
Cat Stevens sang about moonshadow
Great dialogue you have going! Cracks me up. How about narrowing it down to 2 or 3 names and letting him pick from those? Then he will still get to "name his little brother." Unless Moonlight is on your list..... Love ya
Post a Comment