Friday, November 5, 2010

Where is Thumbkin?

As Amelia's cold slowly winds down, I'm starting to feel desperate about her return to thumb-sucking. She used to sleep 8-10, and even up to 12(!), hours at a stretch when she and her thumb were getting along. I'd hear her stir, maybe even give a cry or two, but then she'd get her thumb and be back asleep in no time. Oh, how I miss those days! Now, when I hear her begin to stir in the night, I hold my breath and cross my fingers, silently urging her to find her thumb. But, by the time her cry reaches a wail and she's groping around for me, I know it's time to give up hope she's going to soothe herself back to sleep.

But, I refuse to give up hope entirely. I deserve this. I've paid my dues with one child who, essentially, breastfed continuously throughout the night for well over a year. Maybe I should try getting her a blankie.

Peanuts Nov 03, 2010...

1 comment:

Heather said...

Having 2 thumb suckers, I was THRILLED when they found them in the middle of the night! Although breaking the habit is a task I have yet to try, I will say that the biggest bother I have is having a "blankie" baby too. It goes everywhere with us. Church family photo included blanket. It was either that or a screaming 3 year old and I conceded. Luckily blankie hasn't attended Kindergarten but must wait by the door for its master to arrive home or all hell breaks loose.